Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tomato Peanut Chutney

I generally used to make tomato chutney regularly.Because it goes well with idlis and dosa's.Then one day i went to one of my friends house and she happened to make this chutney.Me and my husband liked it a lot because of the combination,tomatoe's n peanuts.So as usual got the recipe from her n started making it once in a while.


Ingredients:
2 big tomatoe's chopped
1 medium onion sliced
1 small cup roasted peanuts
1 tsp jeera
3-4 green chillies chopped(adjust according to ur spice level)
1/2 tsp turmeric
salt as recquired
few curry leaves
1/2 of a lemon sized tamarind soaked in water n pulp extracted
cilantro chopped
Poppu/Tadka:
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp channa dal
1/2 tsp urad dal
pinch of hing
4 red chillies
few curry leaves

Method:

  • First dry roast the Peanuts on low flame until it turns light brown n keep aside.
  • Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan add jeera n let it splutter next add green chillies
  • To this add the sliced onions,few curry leaves and let it fry for some time until it tunrs golden yellow.
  • Next add the chopped tomatoes mix n cover for 1 min.Remove the lid n mix u will notice the tomatos turned mushyn there is lots of water
  • Cook it until the water evaporates n tomatoes come togeather,then add salt n turmeric.
  • Cook for a min,remove n let it cool
  • Put this mixtue into a blender along with the tamarind pulp n grind to a coarse paste
  • Next put the peanuts into it n grind it to a coarse or a smooth paste. Check for salt n spice level and adjust anything if needed
  • I did mine to a coarse paste because i like to have the nutty flavour n texture in my chutney.
  • Finally do the tadka n add it to this chutney also add the chopped cilantro and mix.Serve with hot idli's or dosa

4 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering already trust me....running short of tomatoes, need to go and buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing i'm doing after finishing my dinner is posting a comment to you......yes i tried ur dish today to go with my dosas! I always made either tomato chutney or a peanut chutney, but never a combination of the 2. Thanks for giving a whole new idea, it was a good change from the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amukta,
    Made this today and it's too good a combination with pesarattu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a coincidence, I tried making this chutney yesterday with dosas and I must admit it was a fiasco, now that I found a promising recipe I am looking forward to having a good deal of a dosa meal ......... You rock Girl, keep it going

    ReplyDelete